In this last week of our 4- part series, we are going to talk about the Slow Metabolism.
Over the past four weeks, we have been reviewing each of the main reasons people struggle with weight. 85% of people who need help with their weight or have body image issues fall into one of these categories.
1. Hungry Brain- A person who eats a lot at every meal, sometimes up to 1000 calories more than others.
2. Hungry Gut- A person who frequently eats because they feel full hungry frequently, sometimes every two hours.
3. Emotional Eater- A person who eats whether they are very happy or very sad.
4. Slow Metabolism- A person who has a slower metabolism and doesn’t burn as many calories as the average person.
How do you know if you or your child has a slow metabolism? Typically, if you do not eat more than the average person, you aren’t consuming high-sugar sodas or juices, and you’re still having a hard time with weight loss, you may fall into the category of slow metabolism.
The good news is that you can do a couple of things to speed up your metabolism.
1. Try toning up. You and/or your child can do toning exercises with a trainer to help build muscle, which can speed up your metabolism and help with weight loss.
2. You can incorporate some cardio into your daily life. Even if you don’t want to run a marathon, you can add in a 20-minute walk or some type of movement every day to help increase your metabolism.
Cardio and toning are an excellent place to start. If you find that you or your child is still struggling to meet those goals or need some extra motivation, we would love to help! Our goal at the Wellness Center at Progressive Pediatrics is to help pre-teens and teens learn to love their bodies and have a healthy relationship with food.
Remember that no matter what category you fall into, even if it’s none of the above, we are here for you!
To make an appointment, visit: https://progressivepediatrics.com/wellness/
Don’t forget to FOLLOW US on Facebook, Youtube, LinkedIn, and Instagram @ProgresivePediatrics